Search This Blog

Monday, May 2, 2011

Bin Laden again

So I read this article in the Guardian this morning. It seems the Mr. Bin Laden was hiding out in a suburb of Islamabad, in a recently built compound that seemed designed to hide people. It was surrounded by twelve foot walls topped with barbed wire, had very few windows, and no phone or Internet connection.
Apparently, the operation was carried out by SEAL team 6. I wonder why them, rather than Delta force, but I guess we'll have to wait on that. According to the article, he "resisted" the SEALs, and was shot in the head. This suggests to me that they wanted to take him alive, but were left with little choice but to kill him.

It's unfortunate that one of the greatest criminals in recent memory should get off so easy, rather than face trial. I think that had he been captured alive and detained, his life would have become a fate worse than death (at least to him). Given his background, and from what we knew of his lifestyle, I don't think he would have adapted well to life in ADX Florence, the federal supermax prison.

No comments:

Post a Comment